10.14.2010

Exhibition Alerts


Jan Gossart (Netherlandish, ca. 1478–1532). Portrait of a Man (Jan Jacobsz. Snoeck?), ca. 1530. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.

Ciao tutti!

So as many of you know I recently got a job in the Old Masters world in New York city! It has been a really exciting time while I settle into my new work and explore the gallery but it has, alas, not left much blogging time. However, this is soon to change as my life is settling into a rhythm and I think that the blog is something I will be able to keep up. I do not think it will continue to be daily, I take each post very seriously and I would not be able to keep the caliber of post on the same level if I tried to post again every day. I have thus decided that I will be posting one serious, scholarly, artwork post once a week and adding articles, exhibition alerts, quotes and anecdotes as often as relevant ones appear. I hope you will stay with me in this new transition! I have recently received some of the nicest and most encouraging emails from readers who miss the posts so I want to thank you again for your support. Now, enough about me and onto some art!

If you are in New York (like me!) two shows that you must see:

Man, Myth, and Sensual Pleasures: Jan Gossart's Renaissance
@ the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Running from October 6, 2010–January 17, 2011
Go to the Special Exhibition Galleries on the 2nd floor

If you go, make sure you make it all the way through the exhibit to the last two rooms. They have placed his fantastic St. Luke in the second to last room, and Gossart's absolutely incredible portraits are in the last room. They really saved the BEST for LAST. So it is worth your time to go all the way through! Beautiful things.


The Spanish Manner: Drawings from Ribera to Goya
@ the Frick Collection
Running from October 5, 2010, through January 9, 2011
Downstairs

I liked the first room that had the Ribera and Murillo drawings more than the Goya room but it totally depends on where your interests lie. Look for the drawing of the bat in the room to the right when you descend the stairs, it looks like a flying mouse!


Next on my list is...

You guessed it! The Neue Galerie just opened a new show, Franz Xavier Messerschmidt 1736-1783: From Neoclassicism TO Expressionism,
running from September 16, 2010- January 10, 2011. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment